14 May 2009

sacrificing democracy to preserve democracy?


For these recent years, it has been especially harder to travel abroad than ever before. Because of potential terrorism and tragic accidents which already occurred, each and every country puts more effort on immigration process at international airports. Thorough security check has been started and loads of CCTV have been installed everywhere.

As a foreigner living in Europe, I’ve actively been to several European countries for my short holidays. While I was travelling, however, I observed some outrageous happenings at airports. It was the day when I left London to come back home, just after passing my security check, I found a woman next to me who looks very humiliated. Her baggage was opened, and a security officer who was a man searched throughout her private belongings. Of course I had no idea whether she had some plastic bombs inside her underclothes or not, it definitely looked like a scene of sexual molestation. Apparently, the security “for citizens” does not concern citizen’s privacy or freedom.

To avoid terrible accident, like 911 in U.S. and to preserve democracy itself, many democratic countries restrict the freedom of their citizens. With this paradox, what do we earn and lose?

On the bright side, we can save our lives by sacrificing our little freedom. No one would want to die from terrorism. We never say any freedom-thing in front of terrorists who are holding muskets and bombs. If these whole little uncomfortable things can prevent tragic accidents in the future, who wouldn’t accept being watched or searched at times?

On the dark side, however, we are still human-beings who have right to have freedom and privacy even though we are threatened by terrorism. No one wants to pee under a CCTV or let his or her baggage searched throughout by the other gender. If we lose the dignity as humans, are we still humans?

1 comment:

  1. I found this post very interesting to read because it has given me the opportunity to see our European countries from a new the point of view, the one of given by a foreigner.

    In the structure of the post I find that maybe the introduction paragraphs are too many comparing to the ones that have to back your thesis statement. Everything else is correct.

    The only thing I can say against the content is that the thesis statement isn´t totally clear in the first paragraphs. Anyway, after reading everything everyone can see clearly what do you think about the issue.

    You also have a good vocabulary but I would like to point some words or expressions that seem to be incorrect:

    -“No one would want to die from terrorism”. I think that the proper way to say it is “die because of” or similar. Die from terrorism sounds like a disease or virus problem.

    - “…we are still human-beings who have right to have freedom and privacy…”. I think that the correct use is “who have the right to”. But I´m not totally sure.

    ReplyDelete