15 April 2009

What is my favorite TV series and what makes me like it?

For your information, I’m really addicted to American TV series such as Grey’s anatomy, Desperate Housewives, The O.C, CSI, Gossip girl, America’s next top model, Project runway and so on. These American TV series are very popular in South Korea as well as in Europe. Almost every young people in Korea have been into at least one of American dramas or soaps. And I’m not an exception. This might be because there are many differences between Korean and American TV series. Today I’d like to write some fascinating characteristics of one of my favorite American TV series, ‘the Desperate Housewives’, comparing to Korean TV series.

Above all, the most attractive feature of the Desperate Housewives is that no one can figure out what would happen next. There is always something else going on behind the scene. Therefore the situation now could reverse itself in anytime. For example, Mrs. McCluskey was seemed to be a normal wicked old lady on neighbor, but it turns out that she has been hiding her husband’s dead body in her basement for living on his pension. This story was really shocking, but very much interesting as well. In Korea, on the other hand, most TV series has typical plot, the good would succeed and the bad would fail in the end, and everyone can guess the next episode. Surprisingly, however, people keep watching those series even though they know the ending. I guess every TV series has its own charm.

Furthermore, those housewives have their distinct personalities. And they all are very lovable and understandable. Brie is a traditional American housewife who can do everything, like cooking, baking and gardening. She is very strict to every single thing, but generous to her loving family and friends. Gabriel is a young shopaholic housewife who was a famous model. She is very mean to strangers, but cares about her close friends. Lynette is a wise mother. She is the only one who can control the evil twins. Her life became little bit pathetic after she gave up her golden job, but she knows how to live happily. Susan always causes trouble because of her carelessness. She is very socialized and attractive woman even though she is sometimes annoying. Each of these four women is not perfect at all, but they are perfect together. That’s why these characters are lovable in spite of their defects. In Korean TV series, the evil characters have just evil personalities. They never can be understandable, which is very pathetic actually.

These two are the main reason why I love to watch American TV series as well as ‘the Desperate Housewives’. However, I’m not always watching American ones. I’m also a big fan of British classic dramas, Japanese animation and of course my own country’s TV series. These TV programs have been a part of my life one way or another even though I didn’t realize that I am like that.

1 comment:

  1. Content:
    Great text! It was interesting to read it. I like your comparison between American and Korean series. I have learned many things. Good way to highlight the American series, but in the end you also give an plausible answer why other series are also interesting for you.
    What I didn’t like was that you didn’t say what “Desperate Housewives” exactly is – nothing about the content, no short overview. I don’t know this series so it was hard for me to understand it. There should have been a paragraph between the introduction and paragraph 2. When you are reading it, you think there is something missing.

    Structure:
    Good introduction to your text – starts with both sides/overview: American and Korean series. You say what you want to discuss so that the reader knows what is coming.

    Middle part: about your favourite series, everytime in comparison to Korean ones. No complaints! Very good.

    Ending: good summary. And you are saying that you also like series from other countries. Good way to end the assignment.

    Language:
    Well written, good language. It was easy to understand and to read it. Good English language.
    Some improvement suggestions:

    Paragraph 1:
    -I wouldn’t start with “For your information” – sounds kind of offensive
    -People is plural – better use: every young person
    -I am not sure but I think we shouldn’t use abbrevations like I’d, I’m – I have learned in Germany that we are not allowed to write this in essays

    Paragraph 2:
    -Above all – is better when you use it later, when you had some arguments
    -“Mrs. McCluskey was seemed” – without “was”
    -Haven’t heard about expression “on neighbor”
    -“on the other hand” and “however” in the beginning of the sentence better

    ReplyDelete